Before and After School
Dominion BJJ is home to Northern Virginia's ONLY before and after school program for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Our program is run by Michelle Welti, BJJ brown belt, and Prince William County Schools staff member.
Let's face it, kids today do not get enough exercise! Your child is in school for 7 hours a day, most of which they are sitting at a desk. PE classes are only 1-2 times per week and when your child gets home they just want to play video games!
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great way to get your child moving after school! Not only will your child be involved in a physical activity but they will also be learning self control, discipline, respect, and patience.
- Drop-off starts at 6:30am
- Children are welcome to bring breakfast or nap in the kids lounge
- The Dominion Bus will drop kids directly at their school according to their morning bell schedule.
- The Dominion Bus will pick your child up directly from their school.
- Children will have free play and snack time after arriving at the facility.
- Once all students have arrived our daily BJJ lesson will begin. BJJ lessons are 45-60 minutes long.
- Quiet Time will follow BJJ lesson during which children will be encouraged to read or do their homework.
- Students will end the day in the Kid's Lounge while they await pick-up.
- Latest pick-up is 6:30pm.
Why choose BJJ over other martial arts?
In most self defense situations you will find yourself fighting on the ground. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu teaches you how to protect yourself while on the ground, escape bad positions, and fight offensively from your back.
Real Time Problem Solving
In BJJ the positions are constantly changing, forcing students to think quickly. In a matter of seconds, your child will evaluate what happened, make an adjustment, and go for a different technique!
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu teaches you how to body position and leverage to manipulate your opponent instead of power and speed like most traditional martial arts.
No Testing Fees
At Dominion BJJ we never charge you for a belt! There will never be fees for receiving a strip or a belt no matter what!
Why is BJJ good for my child?
While learning Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu your child will develop better body awareness, balance, and coordination. This will carry over into other sports and life skills.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a complex martial art, requiring your child to focus while learning. This in turn leads to disciplined thinking and the ability to settle down and pay attention quickly.
Self Defense Skills
Children learn to use their own bodies to gain dominant control over others without relying of size, power, and strength. BJJ also teaches you to remain calm while freeing yourself from the control of another.
Because there is no striking in BJJ, children can spar and test their skills against unwilling opponents every class. Thus increasing confidence in themselves and in the skills learned through Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Students are required to work with one another every class, teaching your child to communicate and cooperate with others. Children quickly form lastly friendships with each other because of the bond formed through trust and cooperation that comes with learning BJJ.